Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What's in a name?

The end of another calendar year is near. Ergo, so is this blog’s first anniversary- better known as the first bloggiversary. And, less than a month before the D-day, the blog’s name has been changed as notified in the previous post but mostly ignored. Hmph. I guess that’s because I never explained the change. Well, here goes...


Yours truly was sitting in this delightfully warm room in Noida, and with the cable’s limited capability, was reduced to watching a half-hour ‘news’ report on how four friends hacked another friend to death during a drunken night out. Infotainment at its very best, one might say. Another might just throw up on him. But, one might just deftly change the channel, to a totally unintelligible Tamil channel and then decide to just shut the idiot box for good. This is exactly what I did, as I sat down to type out one of my longest posts. And, change was the thing on my mind, as I thought up more interesting about-me’s for Orkut and Facebook, and this page wasn’t spared too, as I thought ‘The Geek speaks... or rather types!’ wasn’t even a joke any of the Big Bang Theory quartet would’ve appreciated, and, Amy Lee, Shawn Michaels, The Rock, Jena Malone (who played Christopher McCandless’s sister in ‘Into The Wild’) and a few other arbit crushes and idols crossed my mind, and, the next thing I know, I have a new title for this webpage! Of course, implementing that change, and publishing that post, were 8 hours of sleep and a 4-hour flight away. But, then, after that patient wait, spent dreaming about playing the Sultans Of Swing guitar solo in front of my tenth grade batch, and reading the in-flight magazine twice over (ignoring the stupid lofty ads, of course), the changes were duly made, and they shall stand till the next change of mood comes along, ignoring peacefully the challenges posed by nostalgia, incumbency, and a fetish for choosing easily memorisable dates for occasions.


Whoa! Was that sentence long? Grammatically correct, but the structure was surely something my high-school teachers won’t be proud of. I remember telling one- my class-teacher for two years, and one of my favourites- about my blog. She did express a sense of happiness, pride, and some more emotions you would associate with teachers when you meet them after a long while. But, little curiosity was exhibited. Boy, they do know how to dodge these kinds of situations! Never once was the link to my blog asked for, and lost in conversation, I forgot to give it, too. Sad. I guess I’ll get a banner, or wear a T-shirt, to publicise my blog at my school’s alumni meet. I wonder if I’ll be kicked out unceremoniously. Or worse, not allowed to enter in the first place. But I know it’s a dead idea, anyway- I’d be too lazy and too frugal to get that T-shirt made in the first place. The Black Sabbath T-shirt, on the other hand, is a much better idea. And one I think I am going to go ahead with. Oh, in the sudden change of topic, I forgot to mention- I’ve become a huge fan of Black Sabbath over the past couple of months. But, Dire Straits still rule- Crazy Train was toppled by Brothers In Arms. Tandoori Nights, though, continues to play in the background. If loving you was wrong, I don’t wanna be right... (A highly nasal) Rabba Rabba...

 

By the way, back home, and I haven’t learnt any lessons from all my previous holidays, and continue to sit watching TV series and movies on the computer, when not fulfilling the role of Couch Potato. TV’s seen a sea change, now though. No more K-serials on Star Plus. That’s probably robbed the pleasure, and killed the routine, of many a housewife, and working ladies, too, across the country. I know this is coming very late but I had to experience the change to talk about it- and although the channel listings are full every time I press ‘Guide’ on the remote, the hole left by the removal of these serials, not just on the channel, but in our lives, is yet to be filled. Afternoons and nights aren’t the same anymore. This, of course, has given a great opportunity for the other contenders for the No.1 channel spot to rise, especially when one of them has a Balaji show running on it. But, Bani can never be a Tulsi or a Parvati. I still remember, when we’d shifted to Vizag, and had survived in a house without cable television for a few months (Jai Hanuman, Suraag and Chitrahaar were the saviours then), how everyone had a glimmer in their eyes, when they discussed Mihir’s killing-off, and subsequent bringing-back-to-life. I remember reading in newspapers, that Resident Welfare Associations (RWAs, Noida residents would prefer) had actually taken out rallies in many cities, demanding a change in the story, to bring Mihir back. Considering that, the response to this taking off air of the very same serials, has been quite muted. It’ll also be interesting to see how Smriti Z Iraani and Sakshi Tanwar (thankfully, no numerological name change for her) will come back to try and break away from the moulds of the immortal Tulsi and Parvati, respectively. And also, whether Ekta Kapoor will ever deliver something as legendary as KSBKBT and KGGK ever again- these along with KBC, have been enchanting TV viewers since their almost simultaneous release nine years ago.


Speaking of KBC, in what seems to me as an attempt to regain viewership, Star One is now telecasting ‘Legends of KBC’, a collection of classic celebrity KBC episodes. Interesting it will be, to see whether it does gather eyeballs. What has caught mine, though, are some really interesting advertisements. The Futures General insurance ad, showing how a family helps their elderly grandma blow all the candles on her birthday cake, and the new Airtel ad, with Shreyas Talpade rolling back the years with his father, manage to bring a smile to one’s face, and I consider them to be delightful ads. The new Virgin mobile ad, although not as brilliant as its predecessors, remains characteristically cheeky, and gets the point across, importantly.

 

Sigh! There goes another attempt at a short post! There goes another attempt at a good post! There goes another post... (A sigh of relief may now be let out by you without any reservations)

 

P.S.- Do check out my Orkut About Me. And the status message, too. Puhleez!


P.P.S.- Whatever the post may suggest, I liked Kahiin Kisii Roz (not sure about the spelling) the most, as I had a brief crush on Mouli Ganguly, and for the legendary Ramola Sikand. Just to clear the air, I watch F.R.I.E.N.D.S and Scrubs, mostly, nowadays.


P.P.P.S.- Kung Fu Panda is an awesome movie. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is forgettable. Memento isn’t- condition or no condition. And BBT season two is off the hook!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry ra, but I didn't get to the end this time too. Needless to add, I didn't check your Orkut 'about me' either.

Btw, was The Rock an ex-crush or an idol?

Murty said...

@ Delass

This time either? You get two big fat Hmph's.
As for The Great One, he was only an idol. And, yeah, I corrected that sentence to include idols, when I could've just removed the 'other'. My bad.

And this one wasn't that long, was it?

Sushant said...

@ triple h
nice to see somebody else too adored those soaps!
for me, i particularly liked kggk, it was slightly more twisty than ksbkbt...
and the original pallavi (think har name was shweta) was too hot!

Murty said...

@ Sushi

I was getting ready for yet another you're-so-un-lit lecture, so this comment comes as a huge surprise, and I must add, before Dela thinks of adding another comment, that I only followed what's going on in the serials, and offered funny digs, which ladies scoffed at. That's it. And, yeah, I did observe the chicks in the shows. Pallavi was originally played by Shweta Kawatra.

Amit... said...

You know, maybe you have become more of a blogger of 2nd kind than you realize. That means, I didn't get the purpose of this post, but that also means I really enjoy reading whatever crap you write.

Murty said...

@ Dang

I wonder... Thanks, btw!

Saagar said...

I did read till the end of this post. And till the end of the last post. And till the end of the comments too. So you're welcome.

I'd watched some of the soaps off and on, more off than on. And was therefore familiar with most of the names. KGGK, incidentally, was shot at Film City. And how come no mention of Kasauti...? Or did Shweta Tiwari enter the picture somewhere and was missed?

Watch Oye Lucky, if you haven't already. Not the same for that Brad Pitt movie.

Srishti said...

lol. this is the 1st place i've discovered where guys have confessed watchin the k soaps....
@bhaiya: et tu brute?

Anonymous said...

This is an infestation! While I did know that there were elements in the fraternity who did subscribe to soaps, I never would have believed that the great Lit Party would fall prey to tears and tilak. Now I'll have to redefine the term 'lit'.

Vikesh said...

Boy, listen to the 'Stairway guitar solo' and the Sultans will look like a tear in the rain...or a drop in the ocean, however the phrase goes.

I managed to reach the end this time, unlike some others.
Sssh... I used to watch K-serials too. They were interesting and fascinating to say the least.... and boy, I did have many crushes on the ladies in red... Those were the days!

Murty said...

@ All

Sorry for the hiatus. And sorry for the sudden comeback with 2 posts! I'm sure none of you will actually be reading this

@ Lefty

Ore, I love you ra! You know that!
And, yeah, I am looking forward to jugading Lucky Oye from somewhere- it's by the same guy who directed Khosla... High hopes!

Murty said...

@ Srishti

I thought by now you knew how obnoxiously weird this bunch of people are! Just vindicates the fact!
Btw, scroll down for one more!

@ Rapu

Pah! Humbug! You'd rather look up the definition of 'entertainment' and interpret in as many ways as possible!

@ Vikesh

I respect Stairway to Heaven. I heard that eons before I heard SoS, btw. I'm not comparing them at all. Trust me.
A hmph, for the past.
And, revelations is the name for this comment thread!

Murty said...

@ Srishti, again.

Sorry, I got my sense of orientation all wrong. I meant scroll down from your comment. I bet this wasn't what you were looking for! (PJ)