Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Nostalgia, Nineties and New pinch!

I was thinking that I’m about to go crazy. I do that quite often. Think, that is. I had to wait for another day. A full two hours away. Jason Bourne gladly obliged...

 

It’s 1:47 a.m. as I start typing out yet another post- I’d made a note on the sidebar before I started the movie lest I forget what it was to be about. Dad just purchased that ubiquitous GRE preparation book. For Big B. I laid my hands on it a day before he could. The look of the packet gave away the fact that it wasn’t a second-hand copy. Boy, no! It was a spanking new 2008 edition cover. White and a shade of sea green whose precise name I don’t know- my vocabulary is limited when it comes to colours. I guess turquoise and fuchsia are as far as I go. (The fact that MS Word 2007 thinks it’s spelled right has me very pleased!)

The packet looked inviting, even more inviting than the bunch of The Hindu newspapers- Deccan Chronicle is entertaining alright but you can’t survive without a proper newspaper for more than four days. (May I gleefully add, I actually went through over half of the Sunday magazine supplement today- and I must say, it’s a most wonderful joyride!) The clock has just gone past 2 a.m. and my internet connection’s happy hours start now. I’ll just move over to the room with the router, and be right back. You may go and pick up a cuppa coffee, till then...

 

OK. I’m back. So, where were we? Yes, I’d just laid my hands on Big B’s brand new book, and opened it with little or no regret. The smell of a new book is intoxicating, highly pleasurable, and in this case, brought back some sweet memories...

 

The re-opening of school is this seriously amazing time- the holidays are long beyond a point, and even the fiercest of school-haters get bored enough to want to go back to school. Ah, back to school! The phrase was all over- on people’s lips, their bags, the stickers on their books. Oh! The best part about being back to school was new books! The long waiting in the non-existent queues, the ever-present heckling over the prices, and the overwhelming curiosity to see how colourful the books would be! The big fat ones were always eyed with suspicion, and although one would be very happy to see they were not going into his/her packet, the curiosity to hold even those mountains was always present in the back of the mind. It would be one long, seemingly longer wait to get home and scythe through those packets and lay our hands on the shiny new books! Oh, boy! The calls from the parents to wait till the haldi (turmeric) was applied were almost always disdainfully ignored- at least when it came to the books of that one wonderful subject. After all the covers had been compared- even those of Big B’s- our greedy hands would go straight to the English books- the readers, to elaborate. We’d finish off the whole book the very night- the Maths and Science books would lie untouched for most of the year, leave alone that particular night! But the English books were spared that fate- when the reader was finished being read, and discussed animatedly, sometimes even the main course book, better known as MCB or even MSB in some places, would be scourged for stories, if any.


I remember how my spirits weren’t so high waiting for the class 9 English books, having read Big B’s already. The change in CBSE syllabus couldn’t have come at a better time! Plus, it had stories by O. Henry, R.K. Narayan and Guy de Maupassant- a total joy for short-story lovers! The poetry section was classy- although the archaic language tried its best to make it difficult to digest. I also recall how classes 11 and 12, where I’d shifted to the A.P. state syllabus, were so very disappointing, with almost all stories being repeated, and very few good new ones. Big B had better ones, including the first-ever detective novel- The Moonstone- for full novel-reading. We had Treasure Island, for god’s sake! Brilliant book it is, but more than half of the class had read it multiple times years ago! Not me, though. But I sympathised, and thus, echoed the disappointment anyway.


Anyway, my favourite English reader was the one we had in class 7- not sure whether it was the one published by Oxford or McMillan. But it had some of the most brilliant stories- especially considering the fact that it was a class 7 book. The likes of Riding The Divorce Express, The Slaughter Of The Lamb (by Roald Dahl, I guess), The Monsoon by Khushwant Singh and Rikki Tikki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling are still revered greatly. After You, My Dear Alphonse was nice, too.


And, for the record, I screwed my chance of topping my school in the class 10 board exams in English, thanks to some unforgivable mistakes like not knowing what to fill in ‘He came home and took ___ his boots.’ I had no idea, for some reason, and guessed ‘out’. I got 95. My teachers weren’t too pleased. And, the state board? Don’t even talk about it. Class 11 boards- I thought I wrote a near-perfect paper and got 90. I toned down the language, shortened my answers, actually read a guide for English (a total disgrace, forced upon me though) and after writing the class 12 paper, said confidently- “I challenge you to give me anything less than ninety-freakin’-nine.”

 

I got 80.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurts, doesn't it? Screwing up your English exam. It hurts even more when you know it wasn't you who screwed it up.

By the way, that is 'Lamb to the Slaughter' by Roald Dahl. Brilli-o-nt story. Read more Dahl....even his kiddie books are worth it.

Murty said...

@ Rapu

Yeah, I gotta.

Anonymous said...

Point conceded. You are a blogger of the second kind. Now please slowdown. I'm struggling to keep up.

I had half a mind to quote a song from a very lame Hindi movie that I saw this morning. I have, however, been very politely requested to never use Hindi unless my life depended on it, so I won't.

Anonymous said...

Time for me to gloat. I scored 97 in English in 10th grade and 95 in 12th.

Murty said...

@ Dila

Hey! It wasn't to prove a point, da. Just happened to get into a flurry of typing. Yeah, I am gonna shut shop for a while- but will come back with a bang!

Was the song Ruk ruk ruk, arre baba ruk?

And, ninety-freakin'-seven! You Maddus in school are simply unstoppable!

Vikesh said...

I never read any book beforehand. Not even the English ones though I liked them best.

And, what the hell! You've started the GRE preparations already?
Stop scaring me on the blog, would you?
You are one ghissu.

As for English exams, 91-93 and I am not sure of the order.

Vikesh said...

Mathematics : 100 in 12th grade.

Er... Sorry, wanted to gloat; though I am sure many of your readers would be at par.
Shouldn't have gloated on Maths!

Murty said...

@ Mr. Khanna

I said it was Big B's. I've got one more year than you to prepare- if I want to, that is. And I had every reason to be disappointed as not being exceptionally talented, a 98 in English was my only Holy Grail.

Srishti said...

Hmmm, I did not know that u updated this often.
Ahh... back 2 school... I wish...
I think reading the English books from the pack was everyone's fav pastime. We extended it to Hindi as well. 'Her Pher' was pretty awesome.
I wish I could boast about my class 12 English score too... they completely destroyed my total!! N I cudn't even exclude it from my best 4. I took up eng hons with a vengeance n now I've screwed up my mid-terms... bleh!!

Murty said...

@ Srishti

Even I didn't until Dela asked me to slow down. I'm completely jobless and have nothing better to do. Even yesterday's Jumble said to me "Take a hike!".

Btw, life's like that.
Although the Wild Bore might have another say on that!

Murty said...

@ Dela again

"Now please slowdown. I'm struggling to keep up."

You wanna keep up? Touched, ra.

Saagar said...

English class X- 80
English class XII- 79
There's a saying which says that the better you are at English, the worse your boards marks are. Old Man Poochie agrees.
I'm guessing some of you wouldn't.
And Rapu is right. Though I'm not exactly sure who screwed up my English papers.
Dahl is sacred, of course. Get his complete short stories collection. Then read it. And read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too.

Murty said...

@ Lefty

Totally depends on which side of the Deccan Plateau you are!

And, yeah, I gotta.