Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Holidays, Holes and Hope

It’s the end of yet another set of holidays, and, yet again, I find myself wondering how time flies by. December 5th has turned to December 30th, as after a cursed and delayed journey, I check back in to my room in R-land. It was another waste of 3 weeks, as I spent the days out leaving all those plans made early in the semester in shambles. The chance of a summer internship- abroad or otherwise- seems very bleak, considering the fact that I’m yet to make my resume. So does the chance of gaining any love and/or respect among any past batch-mates, considering the fact that I called up only one of them, and that too only once during my entire stay. In short, I’ve been a fiend of a friend, a shallow student, and worst of all, a sallow son. And what do I do to make up for it? Sit up at one in the morning to type it all out. The lessons learnt...

 

I also happened to catch two movies in the theatres during the holidays- Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Ghajini. Both were highly incredulous too many times to like, but the former’s music only slightly helped it stay afloat in my sea. The more memorable watches were the repeat watches of the Pirates series- you can’t get tired of Jack Sparrow too soon! Also, I posted on this page an incredible eight times, which reminds me I really feel Sushi’s absence in the comments pages.

 

Over 2000 kilometres apart, the irony is too good to ignore. Last night, I was sleeping at home with the air-conditioner turned on, and as soon as I got out of the bus a few hours ago, my feet froze in a flash, my jaw clenched close tightly, and my arms went all around my chest looking for a way to keep warm. Even the 30-second stroll to the canteen from the room was quite a struggle, with the swirling mist hissing and striking hard on my cheeks. A steaming-hot soup Maggi was what it took to wrench open my jaw again, and after that light dinner, I checked back into my room, to see that even with the heater turned on, the temperature was a measly fifteen degrees Celsius. I’m sure this winter is going to be tough on us 8’o’clockers from the Electrical department!

 

I know resolutions aren’t my thing (as stated here) but, boy, I need some prayers for the year to come! The competition is ever-increasing, the cut-throat nature of this whole process is definitely not built for someone like me, but, as they say, when the going gets tough, the tough get growing.

6 comments:

Saagar said...

You think it's cold?
I think so too. But I love it this way. A quilt, a heater, a closed room- what more does a man want?

Murty said...

@ Lefty

Didn't I mention earlier? Winter's my favourite season after the rains. But, yesternight (if there is such a word) I wasn't wearing socks or any kind of headgear- almost killed me! I can be given some leeway considering I'm coming from Vizag!

Vikesh said...

First things first - short post is graciously welcomed.
I hate winters. Makes you so stagnant. But a walk in the morning fog is a beautiful experience which I would rarely do. So I hate winters.

Murty said...

@ Mr. Khanna

It's not the winters that make you stagnant- it's you! I know getting out of your warm quilts is difficult, but you're missing out on a lot if you aren't! I shall illustrate the same this winter, I hope. That goes for Lefty, too.

Anirudh Arun said...

U r not 2000 kilometres away. I am.
It's not yet that cold.
And I heard u landed a satti, Congrats.
And its about time u watched Pirates!

Murty said...

@ Kondy

Nice to see you back, da. Again.
Not sure about the distance. I guess it's 1700-odd plus 222 kilometres. 1000 miles is a nice one to use, I guess.

Thank you, btw. This was my satti sem. Hope I get the other one this time around. And I've watched the 3 movies for a combined 12 times, almost.