Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blistering Bus Blues!

The dithery Whiteline slows to a trot a few metres short of the majestic Lal Quila as indigenous salesmen raid the bus, selling everything under the moonlit sky from two-week-old coconut slices, eerily crunchy papads and family-shaped toothbrushes to paradoxically marketed “Sacche Dilli-waalon ke liye sacchi Dilli ki guidebooks” and stainless gold chains and rings for ten rupees. The three-strangely-dressed-man-strong cabin crew pulls in anyone within their hands’ reach through the non-existent doors, sometimes calling for worried wives’ angry wails, which barely matched the cacophony of the same crew’s shouts of “Naveda, Naveda, Naveda! Kale Khan, Nizamuddin, Naveda!” . The even more strangely dressed conductor begins his swagger-filled strut through the crowded corridor of uncertainty, throwing bloodshot bullets from his eyes whenever asked for the price of the ticket, when not shooting sugary greetings at his beloved(s) on the phone. All those manners are forgotten in a moment (déjà vu) when the driver slams the brakes, prompting a barrage of expletives from both men- one at the other, while the other at a poor brother who forgot to see the red light earlier. The golden-nosed Himesh croons carelessly from helicopters, auto-rickshaws and what-not as these scenes play on, supplying an apt background music as the three capped fellows in front of me whisper on each of their phones “All day, all night- mujhe yaad sataye teri”. I switch on my phone’s radio to escape the nasal onslaught, only to run into Kylie Minogue expressing her desire to chiggy-wiggy with Akshay Khiladi Kumar. As I desperately try to make head and tail of that song, the rest of the channels disappoint, too, when not screaming into my ears- “Happy Choti Diwali!”. Sector-37 couldn’t come any sooner, and I got down, thanking the invisible stars for ensuring I got there without further mental/musical damage. Lady Writer, fast becoming my circumstantial favourite song, kept me busy before Ma, Big B and I got to our new home, somewhere in the almost-deserted urban jungle that is Greater Noida. I direly regretted not recharging my phone, but vowed to get in touch with everyone I always call each year on Diwali as soon as I got back to R. Meanwhile, as I get down to writing this post, Pa cheerily informs me that I’ll be travelling to Delhi from Noida by bus on my way back. The song automatically playing in my head treacherously switches to Mann ka radio tu sunle, mann ka radio...

(Originally published on October 18th 2009, at 0202 hours)

8 comments:

Raps said...

Aloo, new neighbour. And I am sure Lefty will have much to comment on this.
Next time you try painting the scene outside the Lal Quila, use fewer words. Most people would be blinded by the barrage of colours, too numerous to be put in words. And I have sort of disliked long descriptions ever since I tried reading a passage from William Darymple's 'The Last Mogul' (spelled as such).
God-damned OpenID refuses to work.

Arun said...

The eternal wanderer has finally found his true home? Happy Diwali indeed.

The Bluelines and Greenlines are as bad as you would have seen in your childhood. Lal Quilla is the same old fortress, India Gate retains its nostalgic charm, and CP is there purpler than ever. Welcome back Murtha.

Saagar said...

I can honestly say that you've made the best decision of your life by getting a house in Greater Noida. Though I'm pretty sure you already know that. Welcome to the neighbourhood. Or rather, welcome back, in case you want to count the Dadri stint.
Lal Quila to 37 is actually quite an ordeal. Kudos to you for having come through.

Murty said...

@ Raps

Neighbour? You too? Grrreat! I know- even in the night, the fort had it all. And not just the visual aspect, mind you. And you know very well, Rapu, that long-drawn descriptions are my thing.

@ M-Gay

If I'm supposed to read more than just the words into the first lines, maybe I have. Not in the superficial way, though. I was gone nowhere, idiota, as long as I'm still posting on the eve of exams.

@ Lefty

It wasn't me, of course- Ma, over a decade or so ago, I guess. And although many would call it a shithole now, it's going to be huge another decade from now, we know. And I can't wait for the Metro to run till Noida soon enough.

Arun said...

Welcome back was supposed to mean back to Delhi, Jackass. Didn't you say you were once a Dilli waala? Or do people call you a pseudo Northie for no apparent reason?

Anirudh Arun said...

Home sweet home, eh Murtha? :-!

The Decayed Canine said...

Aloo new neighbour from me too! Seriously? G-NOIDA?
Wow, you live like 15 minutes away...

Murty said...

@ Arun

Why so senti? I am a bit of a slowpoke.

@ Kondy

Ah, Kondy, nice try. Home is where the heart is. And if this skirmish is to be taken ahead, wait for my touche.

@ Tajo

Hello, hi, yeah really close and all that, but, seriously, man- what's with all the Kouwagiri? Or is it just us?