Sunday, August 10, 2008

Who loves Orange Soda?

Another late entry into the room, another tired look around, another slump into the bed; after the mandatory brush, of course.

Settling into the new academic session has been an experience uncannily similar to the one in the first year- new hostel, new room (Ah, the smell of fresh paint!), new fellow 'inmates', more luggage-shifting, new classmates, new professors- it's been another tough time settling in. A week into the year, the room was in some state of order, the new mess had nothing different in the culinary sense but the allowance of shorts was a welcome change. The batch-mates got used to me (and my amazingly irritating sense of humour), and I adjusted myself to the grind of classes (read: filling the last page of my notebook and the polished yet ink-tarnished bench with laterally inverted alphabets, a new passion). Yet, there was this sense of incompleteness, a sense of a certain disconnection.

(Evening) After another long nap, I get up to a (most favourite) wet garden outside, dampness in the air, and rain-drenched yellow walls. Frustration. A lazy, drowsy walk around the wing fails to remove that overwhelming feeling. Two hours in the Computer Centre spent lazily drifting between "Home" and "Profile" links suffer the same fate. I wash my face- vigorously- as if trying to rub it off my head, but its recalcitrant character doesn't fall to saponification.

(Night) It's a crawl of an evening, and after bugging a few friends with some (you guessed it right!) let's-call-it-unnecessary small talk, we were headed for dinner. An unsatisfactory meal later (Stuffed tomato? I'd rather not get started), my friends wisely choose to leave me at my room (for their own good) and solitude is easily one of the most potent vectors for the ghosts of the mind to use. Irritation. A sense of incompleteness. A feeling of disconnection. Puzzling clues. The mind's not getting enough exercise. What? Enough exercise? OK. Got it. A quick trip to the security guard, and I'm sitting, having Mom's delicious (Again, I'd rather not get started on those adjectives) laddus and chivda, with enough ammunition to handle those haggard beasts in my head.

Morning arrives, after a long-awaited good night's sleep. But, alas, the devils are laughing. How can it be? More frustration. A stronger sense of incompleteness. That feeling of disconnection attacking with renewed vigour. More irritation. I somehow manage to dawdle my way through breakfast and classes and return, tired and defeated, to my room. The door's being unlocked, lazily, and unlike what would happen in a movie (where my keys would 'accidentally' slip and I'd bend down and see...), I just happened to look down and my ghosts feared their end. Armed with a confident smile, I deftly opened the lock, and slammed the door open and there it was- crisp as a just-bloomed flower, like a raindrop on a leaf. I bent down (not on my knees, careful not to dirty that pair of classy black trousers) and held it with a sense of victory. And, as one would do only when he/she is alone in a room with little risk of anyone else watching, I paraded around the room, holding it as if it were the Jules Rimet trophy.

The newspaper had finally made its appearance on my floor and I quickly turned to the back page to rekindle my temporarily-stalled affair with Sudoku. Four and a half minutes for the easy level- I'm still pretty sharp.

P.S.- The title, as is quite apparent, has nothing to do with the post. It's just a tribute to one of my once-most-loved TV shows, Kenan and Kel.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

one got to know it.....
I have been at least five times to your room since last morning and could not meet you even once.
you know..
F-102...

and the style you used this time,I liked it....

Murty said...

Oh, you're gravely mistaken, as I'm in G-104...Apologies for the inconvenience...Thanks, btw...

Anonymous said...

oh man
the day seems 2 b full of mis-understandings
mine is F-102
yours of-course G-104

Anonymous said...

Damn it. I suppose you did not think twice before you devoured the laddus. And here I sit in my room, hoping that the joy of India's first gold might actually wash over that awful taste left in my mouth after the lunch in the mess.

Murty said...

Yes, I didn't. Come over to my room sometimes and you might get some besan ke laddu by next week. Btw, Yippeee! Bindra rocks!

The One said...

Buddy, u got a newspaper and when I came back from morning 8-9 class, I found my newspaper missing.

For rest of the post, it was nice and this time also, I admit I found new phrases.

Keep it up

Murty said...

Newspaper missing? Incomplete day it must have been...Anyway, thanks!

Saagar said...

Emptiness emptiness emptiness?
If the pictures are to be believed, you're in love. Who's the unfortunate creature?
And thanks for the Keenan and Kel mention. Ma-an.

Murty said...

Smart thinking. But, fortunately, I'm not. To be precise, not even close to being. Also, just to make sure, you meant the imaginary pictures, right?

As for another classic K&K dialogue,

Awww, here it goes!

Vikesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vikesh said...

I was frustrated of switching between "Home" and "Profile". There was this sense Incompleteness and a certain disconnection.

Then i deftly opened your blog and there it was - like a raindrop on a leaf, a new post. ...and thats how i rekindled my ever-growing affair with "The Greek speaks (a lot)..." and lived happily ever after....
Fourteen and a half minutes (including the use of dictionary) - I'm still pretty darn slow!

P.S. Kel loves the orange Soda, as far as I remember! By the way, I loved the "and unlike what would happen in a movie..." digression.

Looking forward!

Murty said...

Hmmm...The digression was pretty bad I felt, but was very honest I'm sure (which explains why it was bad!).

And, as I love to do after every comment of yours (you force me to)...
You CS guys...