Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A(n?) year wiser???

It's over now. The year they'd all talked about. Much before we came here, during the year here, and even after it's over, the first year at the insti is easily the second-most talked-about year of 'em all (after, of course, the final year). Considering the fact that most of the (very few) readers of this post are past that stage, I'm going to ignore that fact altogether and just go about typing this post the way it's supposed to be (Thanks, PTV!).

The one big truth (other than Jugad) that I've understood over the (academic) year has been that R-Land is a highly seasonal place, if you like. It all started off with the bucket-mattress-jhaadu season, moving into the books and stationery season, through to the train-ticket concession season and finally culminating in the trunk season.
Each season had its own share of controversies and it all ended with me leaving those final messages for our prospective room betas (sons, insti lingo for our successors in the room), neatly dabbed onto the very wooden doors the (!@#$%^&*) dhobi used to unforgivingly bang twice a week, on the very cupboards where all my highly palatable achaars (pickles) would have (in a very unorganised manner) been stored, on the very windows from where I'd look out into seemingly endless sky on those lonely nights...

The year gone by, also, was my first away from home but ended up with me having a home away from home in a city I loved to hate, at one point of time. But, as PTV very aptly put it, it's one lovely place- a place with no boundaries (except at KB and SB!). A place where I've met some of the most wonderful people, thanks to two of the most "rocking" (ahem...sorry for the Audio sec-sun recall!) student societies...no, the word 'society' robs them of their beauty...student families on campus and to those lush gardens in front of the hostel canteen, where I've met some of my best friends in my year.

This year also had a few pitfalls, though. The early fallout with the bevdas (drunkards), a ghastly course called Engineering Graphics, the anti-social image build-up, et al - all making it one heck of a roller-coaster ride. I supposedly missed out on two things any first-yearite (I still prefer first-year, though. 'First-yearite' makes no sense to me.) shouldn't- the KB bhawan day and the Thomsonian quiz (from a Litta point-of-view). Still, no regrets for the first and full for the second.

All in all, it's been a long year running out pretty fast.

This post goes out to all those amazing people I've met at the insti so far- THE corridor, the bull-s*itters, the batti guys, the Littas, the entire (working) Kshitij team, the all-night bakar enthusiasts, and all those who've been able to bear me- hugs and kisses to all!

In the end, though, picture abhi baaki hai, boss!!!

P.S.- My apologies for those offended by the last line.
P.P.S.- It's my second-favourite part of the post, though.
P.P.P.S- (thankfully, the blogger server crashed for those 3 hours!) THE RED DEVILS LORD OVER EUROPE! GLORY, GLORY, MANCHESTER UNITED!

6 comments:

Withered said...

Should I sniff? However, if you were thinking of Lit as a family, clear that impression before you meet any fourth year Litta next year, or you'll be the paint on Man U's t-shirt next year. Explanations go way back to the intro talk held a year before Hurricane HHH hit Roorkee. I'll elucidate some other time. Keep up the good work, though. You show a lot of potential on the blogging front. Someday, you may make us proud :).

Murty said...

Sniff, sniff.

P.S.- I'd love to know the 'all-important' details of that particular incident.

Saagar said...

I'll second Rapu on the Lit family thing. Beware.
Also second him on the potential on the blogging front.
And Man U rule. Woohoo.

Anonymous said...

Ah, very touching da (ra?) I second Lefty on ManU. And third (?) Rapu on the Lit-not-being-a-family thing. And third Rapu again on the potential on the blogging front.

P.S: You aren't left with too many original ideas for your comment two weeks after a post.

P.P.S: I hate word verification.

The Decayed Canine said...

I will fourth Rapu. We are not a family. Compatriots, maybe, but NOT family. :D

And to what do I owe the honour of making a cameo here?

Murty said...

Yeah, right...anyone remembers tha mafia???