Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The plague that is plagiarism

OK. I've spoken at length over this topic for hours at a stretch trying to convince people around me to either give it up or (in the extreme case) accept it is wrong in the first place.

Copying is all around us, whether it be in the movies, or in our government (at all levels) or, closer home, all around our educational institutions. There's nothing very novel about it anymore. Copying is no longer considered to be really "cool" or a refuge of the uber-smart either. But, for those who don't do it and are worried for that unforgiving, unrelenting ten-letter C-word (referred to as done because of the growing perception that it's the not-to-be-spoken you-know-who-type of word) called (Haha! I'm another Potter in the making!) conscience, it's good enough fodder to give those long "It's morally wrong." speeches to those who don't really give two hoots for it.

But, as one particular smart soul says, "You got a problem? Blog about it. Rest in peace."

The end of the end-sems (with all the animated discussions about this very phrase going around everywhere, I wonder if it is grammatically correct), like the end of every set of exams, brought out my long-recited-over-and-over-again speeches on what practices are morally correct and what not. Countless arguments ensue, with discussions ranging from "Conscience? Don't use fancy English expletives, now!" and "Copying? I was just borrowing ideas!" to "Who're you to decide what's right and what's wrong? That's for a blind-folded lady with scales in her hands to look at." (Yeah, right! You want me to take you to court, now?) and "Mind your business. What have YOU got to do with our consciously-made decisions?". More debates follow on who's got more of a "right to copy"- one who's getting 90 out of 100 and wants a perfect cent to get that (not-so-)elusive A+ or one who's partied all sem and wants to avoid a backlog.

Maybe, yes. I'd rather mind my own business. Just because I'm too dumb or fattu(i.e. scared) to plagiarise, it doesn't mean I've got the right to criticise and counsel those who do.

Maybe, no. Society's only going to improve if each individual improves. One changes himself, influences others to do the same and the betterment of humanity at large can only follow. The ends don't justify the means.

Too far-fetched. Who cares for the long-term? In the short-term, CG matters, results matter, money matters, votes matter. Conscience can have a drink and chillax.

Whatever it may be, this post's done. I've got one big load off my head.

And, I still don't copy (Oh, well. I can be let off for the tutorials, right?!?!)

4 comments:

The Decayed Canine said...

Preachy, but I won't complain.
Plagiarism isn't very nice, but then, if you are really uptight about it, don't do it, and go your own way. It is sure trouble if you try to impose your idea of morality on the world. It just will not work.
We are, after all, the descendants of apes. And aping is genetically imbibed in is innit? :D
And please cut out the word verification for comments.

Murty said...

Hmmm...I know, maybe I should stop being the (Tulsi type) idealistic, moralistic idiot and get on with it. Also, as for the Captcha rhingy, yeah, I'm gonna chuck it out. I gotta verify dumb words for posting comments myself!

Unknown said...

Well, i agree with the decayed canine here. But whats the point at being on the higher ground when people around you copy to glory. It defies the whole purpose of relative grading...
Btw what happened to the C grades? :)

Murty said...

OK...Topic put to rest...until I next have one of my morality outbursts, at least...I managed a B+ in the end, by the way...