Monday, September 21, 2009

Can United score? They ALWAYS score!

Electrical machines are almost always designed to work at a certain optimum load, a particular operation point. They have their maximum currents and maximum voltages, alright- but only rarely are they supposed to operate in such conditions. I believe our emotions are also designed to function the same way. It’s very rare for the average man to experience the apogee of happiness, the nadir of despair, the worst disgust or the greenest envy. More often than not, we're going through feelings best expressed by "He's got a daytime job; he's doing alright". But when machines are put into certain conditions for testing or specific applications, they go through their extreme conditions. Sometimes they heat up and get back to normal; at others, they implode. Again, the analogy can be extended to us human beings. Some say one of these tests or specific applications is love. I obviously can’t corroborate on that. I can give one other situation, though- a pot-boiler of a football game at a cauldron of a venue.


Although it’s being used too many times these days to start losing its sheen, there isn’t any better way to put it than Sir Alex’s golden words after that win- “Football. Bloody Hell.”


P.S.- Tunnel of Love from Dire Straits- Live at the BBC. Mashallah!

16 comments:

Shrey said...

I don't know jack about football but I know most of us go through a certain process every day that leads to one extreme that you might have overlooked.

Vikesh said...

Tunnel of love, Live? When? When? When?

Murty said...

@ Bang Bang

No comments. :|

@ Mr. Khanna

Now you have a reason to come to Azad :)
Or come online, I've got the album links.

Prachi Agrawal said...

Well...trust me you don't need either to go to extremes!
Which brings me to the question...is that extreme?
I sure as hell hope it is!

Anonymous said...

American football, bloody hell! I don't get to watch any sports around here because of that. And I've had to change my vocab to include 'soccer'. It's pretty demeaning, you know. Now I follow REAL football on the net. Not half as interesting, but it will have to do until I horde up enough to get a TV and cable. Which I probably never will. Anyway, brilli-o-nt game, from what I gathered from Phil McNulty's blog (BBC).
You didn't have the Live at BBC concerts???? I have the entire collection, me boy. In fact, I am going through all Dire Straits songs right now. I needed an intervention to get over S&G, so I changed my highs.

Murty said...

@ Prachi

That's delusional complacency, which is pretty much normal.

@ Rapster

I thought they hated everything that had "American" attached to it up north. Hmmm...
Sir Alex put it best- "We could win 6-0, or we could win one of the greatest derbies. We did the latter, but I'd prefer 6-0."

I somehow always forgot to download the BBC concerts. The Sultans version is classy! And all of you recent pass-outs tend to fall for Kathy's song, right?

Arun said...

One of the most phenomenal games of recent times. Every single emotion known to mankind made its presence felt during 96 minutes of mind-boggling football and nerve-wrecking finishes. Truly, the greatest game ever played.
SRG, WR, DF and MO. Bloody hell indeed, SAF.

Anonymous said...

may be consequence of reading more of Man u and all that stuff....I am finally finding a way into Footta..
must thank u for this...

but lemme be clear I am not too fond of red tees........

and about the extreme thing: I think i know about this more than anyone else..

Saagar said...

I. missed. the. game.

Arun said...

What I meant was, football is the greatest game ever played. This game was far from perfect defensively for both teams, but still made a brilliant spectacle. The great game continues to amaze me.

Murty said...

@ M-Gay

Alright, point taken. And that was a few accounts getting all muddled up.

@ Rahul

You know we all might agree/disagree on something we think we're right in thinking about while something completely different might've been in Banja's mind.

@ Lefty

WHAT? Not that it was the greatest derby, but worth a watch by any standards.

Anonymous said...

@Dela Sir...
I got it.

Anunaya Jha said...

Just wonder Murty! If we would 'operate at rated/specified conditions', life would be so predictable. I think we should give ourselves the chance to chime, 'What If?!.."

Murty said...

@Anunya

Hmmm... You need to wait for next sem, sonny!

Amit... said...

I don't understand why Americans name everything anything they like. I hate them for calling a mindless cattle fighting game 'football'. Why do they prefer mile over K.M, pound over K.G, 'sorcerer's stone' over 'philosopher's stone' ? And they so happily and proudly keep doing that with utter disregard for any logic and sense.

There could have been a better platform for me to express that, but I needed a vent.

And I've started liking MAN-U for Sir Alex over any other player. It's him who has made the team that we love today.

Murty said...

@ Amit

Don't tell me; I can go on about that for days. Only a few make a semblance of sense. But, faucet for tap, for heaven's sake!