Friday, August 21, 2009

Coorg Versus Microcontrollers

It’s seven minutes past seven in the evening, and I decide to head to Nescafe for a coffee. The attire’s very boys’ hostel-ish but I’m too lazy for a change. I try to visualise the notes and coins in my pocket, and the lack of a one-rupee coin strikes me. The counter guy never has change at peak times, and I wonder if I should settle for the four Eclairs I might be offered after I hand the ten-rupee note. No- that’d amount to spending ten rupees instead of six. The only alternative is to lose possession of the one-rupee note I got from the same counter a few days ago. I have a thing for a few things- five-rupee coins, one and two-rupee notes, Dire Straits wallpapers, digressions and some more. The Ravindra circle is reached, and there’re all these dogs littered all around- most lying around aimlessly, some sleeping, and the odd one moving towards that big light pole to raise its leg around. A strange thought of the scene being my corridor comes and is pushed out. I decide I’ll sit and have my coffee- I’ve burnt my tongue one time two many to take the risk of walking back with that cup to Azad. I reach the counter, to hear the following conversation going on.


...aur bhaiya, sandwich aadha karke dena.

Sandwich to aadha hi hota hai.

Haan, use hi aadha karke dena. Accha, ek-chauthai hi sahi.


I find it unusual that such a routine-sounding conversation goes way over my head. Vowing to control my curiosity, I ask for my coffee, while a distinctly feminine voice feebly utters Excuse me. I get my elixir, while the lady in question goes unheard. A couple more Excuse me’s later, I’m asked to pay up, and, to my disappointment, I had to lose the prized note. That wasn’t the bother though, when I turned sheepishly to my right to find the source of the unheard requests, thinking of giving a short discourse on how to get heard in R with my two years’ earned, two-penny worth experience. That wasn’t to be, as a not-so-discrete female voice jammed in to utter Arre bhaiya, suno to! The feebler voice came back to give her order, and after that, went back to her discussion over some kitty matters about she said so-and-so about me, and I asked someone else, and she said blah-and-blah that only two girls with voices like the aforementioned kind indulge in. I make a half-turn to grab a look at their faces, but then realise that’d disturb the hand that holds a hot cup. I console my curiosity by reminding it that it’s still in R.


I forget my resolution to sit, and walk around the back side back to Azad, with the usual set of steps. Starting with my usual pace, which I realise isn’t necessary unless you want to spill the drink you just bought on your white T-shirt, I slow down to a slow drag. Even that isn’t good enough, with the regular rise and drop making me either sip R’s air, or making a few taste buds take medical leave from work. So, the usual set of steps is followed again, meaning I wave to every random soul I see in front of Ravindra, before I reach the circle past the dogs, when the coffee has gone a little colder and easier to sip, while the bubbly froth at the top is lost. Compromises have to be made when you’re dealing with pretty-sounding ladies and dogs. And politicos, too. But that’s another story.


It’s twenty-seven minutes past seven, and I, for no apparent reason, decide to post again.

18 comments:

Saagar said...

He he. Sienfeld-ish post. When you mentioned the dog and his pole antics, I was reminded of someone else's pole antics ;).
The standard answer to any female 'excuse me' is usually a musical 'kya re'. You didn't know that by now?

PSR said...

pole antics....nosy maniacs.....really really arbit post and aptly titled......abstract writing.

Raghav said...

I normally cycle back from nesci with coffee in my hand, of course, without spilling a single drop of the 6-rupee treat.
Ah and well, I would obviously not give ten rupee coins and one rupee/two rupee notes for any reason! :)

On a side note, Why Microcontrollers? Embedded Technology? I hardly get it, I must confess. :(

Anonymous said...

Highly, highly arbit. That's a compliment, of course.

P.S: Vote for Noka.

Murty said...

@ Lefty

I take that to be a huge compliment- thank you! I do know the 'kya re' part but the best lines fail to strike you when you need them the most.

@ PiSRA and Raghav

Yes, this was an experiment that was conducted when I got sick of trying to get the hang of a microprocessor-controlled system.

@ Dela

Baster. Cheap publicity. I'm sticking to the Haddu guy. Screw you.

Murty said...

@ Lefty again

Oh, shit- it struck me now. Bad bad boy with good memory you are, Lefty boy. :D

Arun said...

Arbitness, thy name is M2G.

Srishti said...

hem hem! guys are equally fond of gossip and all the he and she saids...

Chronoz said...

A small tip. When don't have a 1 rupee coin, get the 4 toffees, keep them in your wallet and the next time give it to the "Barger bana do" guy for one rupee.

Murty said...

@ Gaylord

Ha! I still can't get away from the idea of making you say the words you type!

@ Srishti

Of course, not. Unless we're talking about football managers, of course. Yes, but don't bring back the K-serial argument, now :)

@ Shreyas

I asked him that, once. He just laughed.

Anonymous said...

a "change" indeed....refreshed some memories which I shall again experience some days from now...

btw
1. big congos from my side
2. a loud grunt and a louder snore

for
1. KJ thingy
2. as you didn't tell me

Anonymous said...

and just for the record...
I think I have changed my blog's name

Anirudh Arun said...

Damn. One 'Excuse me' later, I thought you had a new her. Damn, again.

Vikesh said...

I was almost expecting you'd divulge the names of the chattering girls. And of course, a few hundred lines of appreciation would've followed but to my dismay, you didn't even look at them. Who gets sadder?

Murty said...

@ Rahul

Thank you! I had half a mind about what you'd said when I was typing this one out- not that it affected it in any way. And, I didn't know you were off-campus to not know.

@ Kondy

Baster, you think this is some cheap Bollywood movie or what?

@ Vikesh

Ditto as above. And not an inch sorry to disappoint you.

Vikesh said...

With your blog, I expect things. Unconventional things.

Rishabh said...

You didnt even look at them because it will disturb your coffee hand?pathetic :(

Anonymous said...

hey
it is just to tell you that my blog id now changed
http://rahulsharmaspeaks.blogspot.com/