Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Achilles’ last stands

Sidekicks have been an integral part of so many legends. The Sundance Kid to Butch Cassidy, Circuit to Munnabhai, Sambha and Kaalia to Gabbar come to mind. The hero’s potency even without them notwithstanding, a consummate sidekick, to use a terribly cloying clichĂ©, completes the hero. It’s hard to imagine a “Kitne aadmi the?” without an answer, even if the question “Holi kab hai? Kab hai holi?” could be considered rhetorical.

This blog, after a sudden change of mind a long time ago, and a quick return to normalcy, has missed a subtitle. The present outstandingly lame title had an even more outstandingly lamer adjutant, giving a sneak preview to the (you guessed it right) outstandingly lame pieces of writing that appeared under its banner. Although I can’t seem to remember it in its entirety, I vaguely recollect mentioning emetics and aggravating suicidal tendencies. Considering my vile idleness at present, I’ve been thinking about filling the void below that title. Redundancies, banalities, blatant rip-offs and sacrileges of the sacred number are all that I’ve been able to come up with. “In search of the Ultimate Question” seems like a most poignant peg, but doesn’t fit the round bore (pun intended).

(If you haven’t been a regular reader, now you comprehend the outstandingly lame sense of humour I possess.)

Just before Pick Withers does a round trip of the drums in front of him, as John Illsley lets his fingers loose at his bass guitar, and the Knopfler brothers avow together “We are the Sultans of Swing”, something feels just right. No lines filling the aforementioned gap have given me that feeling so far. Ergo, the gap remains.

Wandering and wondering, what place to rest the search...

4 comments:

PSR said...

mistake ,mistake.....i was saying that:honestly,this post is above me.gr8 post though.

Arun said...

The only thing I noticed about this post was the title. I was planning a post called Achilles' Heel, now it doesn't seem a good idea.

On a serious note, I agree with PSR, this post did go well above my head!

Anonymous said...

speaking my mind i don't think this hero needs a sidekick right now. but you shouldn't stop your quest either.one day you shall find a perfect mate(for him??!!).

Murty said...

@ PiSRA and M-Gay

Thanku thanku hai. Apropos the flying overhead, if you think about it, you might realise it's otherwise, though.

@ Quietly Movin' (?)

Your name reminds me of a movie I saw last night- Cool Runnings. Peace be the journey. Anyhoo, welcome here!
No captain's gone on to be great without a good first mate, mind you!