Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Two experiences...

I’ve happened to have read two books over the holidays so far. One was a highly recommended, greatly controversial best-seller about a kid recently kicked out from school, and another, a highly anticipated book by a best-selling phenomenon, about a young suicide attempter and his story.

Two books which I shan’t compare but just recount my experience of reading them (Useless info- I just completed reading the second.).

The former.

All those rave reviews weren’t worth nothing. This, for me, wasn’t just a book but, a totally different take on life, in general. The protagonist doesn’t strike me as a delinquent juvenile, but as a disillusioned thinker, with a particularly world-annoying way of looking at the world (as confusing as the words are, that’s the best I can manage). The book, overall, just gave an amazingly refreshing perspective of our surroundings.

The latter.

Another masala serving from this exciting writer. This book wasn’t greatly spectacular, especially the plot, which was disappointingly over-filmy, I felt. It was his sheer originality and outrageous unpredictability that made his first book extra-special (and also, seemingly, a cult) and the second quality was the one of the few things I liked about his second offering. The original writing style remains but the fact that I could actually predict the next event left me greatly disappointed (even my ego, which would usually jump with joy in the discovery of my super-sleuth abilities, couldn’t suppress this feeling). But, nonetheless, I remained a fan of him, and considering my disappointment with this book, it is indirect praise for the author who will remain a phenomenon, I guess, and his next book will still be even more greatly anticipated.

Now, don’t think I’m also adding a book review (again, unless you’re totally hooked to it, it’s difficult to re-view 255 or 789 wood pulp products, compared to 180 minutes of celluloid) to this torturous waste of webspace. I hope the two accounts are self-explanatory of their purpose...

For those curious souls who were thinking of Googling these books (if they stayed alive through the post, or if they haven’t done it already!), I’d just give it away- “The Catcher in the Rye” and “The 3 Mistakes of my Life” (apologies to those uber-smart souls who were affronted by the previous sentence having guessed already)...6 hours of reading takes its toll...I hope an hour of soporific time-wasting and frantically following (daily) a certain 23-year-old Madeiran’s future can relax the mind now...Sleep can wait...

P.S.- Rupa Publishing rocks! Best-sellers at under hundred bucks- what more can you ask for?

P.P.S.- Apologies for the drop in readability over the last two posts...Maybe it happens when I try to get a little over-personal on the blog...The impassionate accounts are better, maybe...Comments anxiously awaited...

14 comments:

Amit... said...

quite surprisingly, this review turned out to be an actual one. Well, I guessed the 2nd buk actually before you could draw the curtains. I don't think I'll ever read, going by the harrowing experience of his last title- One night ...call center. The other buk seems interesting and I can assure you that i'll be googling about it for rest of the night and about it's free ebook version for the rest of the nights.

I'm reading a few buks too - The hitchhiker's guide, monsoon and he kite runner. All the same at a time. Yup. And I just completed two flicks - Oceans 13 and Click (it rhymes) before checking out ur post.

keep up the gr88 work !!

Anonymous said...

I guessed both correctly. Wow, I'm a genius.

But honestly, dear minion, how can you mention Salinger and Cheta whats-his-name in the same breath? This is sacrilege. There will be a point in life when you'll discover a Holden Caulfield within you. Read it then. You'll realize why it's widely regarded as one of the greatest woks ever even a century after it first hit the stands.
Three Mistakes, in stark contrast, is outright pulp fiction (which also explains its mouth-staggeringly low price).

I just complete the Sea of Poppies. Recommended. And so is 21.

Murty said...

@Dr. Dang
Do do it. That'll be a decision you'll never regret. Click- typical Adam Sandler flick; not always my pick. Yet to see OCean's 12 so can't see 13 till then. And, damn, are you upto lotsa reading or what!

@Dela

Your accusations are baseless as I mentioned in the post early to avoid any such damage (which was obviously expected)- These were not reviews. I hope the title makes it clear, too. So, effectively, I avoid mentioning them in the same breath (which, I agree, is sacrilege). By the way, do bring me these, opium and numbers thingies...

Murty said...

@Dela

Alive? Prove it...

Vikesh said...

Nice work Murty...I could guess the second but not the first one.
Considering and duly respecting your opinion, I would lay my hands on the former as well. These days, I am catching up with Catch-22. Its awesome. Highly Recommended...But I think you must have read it already.
Also read "Men are from Mars Women..."...Recently read a review of a book called "Dave Barry is from Mars and Venus" by Dave Barry(genre : Comedy) and Priority : Highly Recommended....Try if you can get your hands on this one (Status : Unavailable at Connaught Place, New Delhi)...

Keep up the good work on your blog for us to keep looking forward to having a look...(Confusing as the words are, that's the worst I could manage)....Cursing "CS Guys", Anyone?

Amit... said...

@Vikesh

Dude, u serious u read that buk..me are frm mars...'??

and in case u get ur hands on the comical version of that..bring it with you back to Roorkee, for I may prefer to read it before anything else.

@ Murthy

And yup. If u can bring catcher in the rye with you, that'll be better as I have loads to read now, and would prefer a hard copy anyday. And, as a matter of fact, I'll be staying in Azad more than I'll be staying in Ravindra, so keep welcoming me....!!!

Withered said...

I see the post frequency has been upped. Also, this is my first take of Dela praising Salinger after I told him to let the message sink in. Clearly, I have excelled in my duty as a master. Surprised to know you are a CB fan though. He's not exactly my favourite writer. And I love to have litta perspectives on my comments. Mind you, Lefty'll be grading you on basis of the replies to these comments.
P.S. If you don't include an anonymous option to comment on your blog, he'll give you a D.

Saagar said...

I second Dela
I've not read Sea of Poppies though.
And I love you Rapu.

Murty said...

@Vikesh

Curse CS guys all my life...

@Amit

Two words- Project Gutenberg.
Two more words- Channel I.

@Rapu

Uff, I'm getting increasingly misunderstood everyday and that'll seemingly affect my grades, as always. I'm not a fan, I just happen to like a few things about him. Period.

@Lefty

No comment. I love HT, by the way. And, South Park is the best TV show ever created. And, darn, I love my left hand. I actually type more letters with my left hand than the right.

@Rapu again.

I'm a total geek. Wiki is my Bible.
(Just remembered. You're just as effective.)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hi...... boss
have been following your blog for quite some time
When the lights go out.....
the best read

Withered said...

Honoured am I, anonymous add thou(gh) (love the pun, but most won't get it)?

Murty said...

@Rahul (Greetings, unknown visitor)

Thanks! :)

@Rapu

I'm supposed to get the pun, right?
And, without being a grade-hungry monster, I heed to your (repeated) request after WebD's harrowing experience (full respect).

Anyway, it'll be a nice guessing game, I guess(?).

Amit... said...

Hey buddy ! I don't see my name in ur list of blogs...come and visit my blog and enlighten it with your marks ( comments, i mean)